Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the bee to go home…

What is a Speech and Language Therapist?

A Speech and Language Therapist (SLT) is a professional who helps children and adults develop or regain skills with speech, language and communication as well as eating and drinking.

What do Speech and Language Therapists Do?

SLTs assess and treat children (and adults) with speech, language and communication needs. They provide advice, recommendations and therapy to support the development of these vital skills. They may work with children in health care settings or in schools and nurseries.

I am concerned about my child, how do I contact a Speech and Language Therapist?

If you are worried about your child’s speech and language development you can speak to your Health Visitor or GP, or you could refer to the local NHS SLT department directly. If you are looking for a private therapist please contact me for a free no obligation chat to discuss your needs.

How often does my child need to be seen?

This depends on your child’s specific needs. Following an initial assessment session I will discuss recommendations for next steps. This may be advice or therapy. An agreed block of sessions will be agreed in advance and this can be reviewed as the child makes progress.

I’m not sure if my child needs Speech and Language Therapy, what should I do?

Please contact me to discuss your concerns, I am happy to provide a free telephone consultation to discuss whether an assessment and therapy is required.

Do I need a GP referral?

No, you can contact me directly to refer your child for an assessment.

How long will I need to wait for an initial appointment?

I can usually arrange an initial appointment within 2 weeks of the initial enquiry.

My child already has an NHS Speech and Language Therapist, does private therapy affect this?

No, your child is entitled to their free NHS SLT offer. There are clear professional guidelines to ensure that Speech and Language Therapists in the NHS and private practice work together, although I won’t share any information with anyone unless your consent is given. The same goes for schools and nurseries; I can supplement the existing service without you losing out on anything provided via the local offer.

How do I know if my Speech and Language Therapist is qualified and registered?

All Speech and Language Therapists must be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council and details of registered therapists can be accessed for free via their website.